Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Neverland

November 6th, 2009

I'd send Bermuda a Facebook message in July, once the trip had been finalized, to let him know that I would be coming to Bermuda for a conference. He replied a few days later agreeing that catching up over drinks would be in order. We messaged back and forth a few times between July and the week before the trip. On November 2nd, 2009 I landed in Bermuda for the first time in 7 years.

Bermuda and I had met in February 2002 when I was in Bermuda for Spring break with friends. My group of friends and his group of friends had met at a club and we all hit it off so we that we spent the whole week together. Bermuda and I had maintained a friendship over the years with random emails now and then. Out of the group we seem to have been the only ones that had stayed in touch. I was excited to see him.

Work came first and after 4 days of heavy meetings I had the night off and sent Bermuda a message. He invited me to meet up with him and Peter Pan for drinks at Opus Lounge. I'd just finished up at the dinner meeting and practically ran out of the hotel for this much needed break. I didn't even change out of my meeting attire and just grabbed a taxi.

The taxi stopped right out front of Opus Lounge and Bermuda came around to open the door for me, I launched myself into him for a huge hug. He'd gotten taller since the last time I'd seen him. Peter Pan followed and we hugged as well.

The three of us went to the bar and grabbed drinks and started catching up. The first thing Peter Pan said was, "That's new," as he pointed at my left arm.

Me: "What, my jacket. Yeah, I guess, it was a gift for my birthday last year." (I was really confused by his comment and was giving him a bit of a funny look.)

Peter Pan: "No. This is new."

And he pulled out my left hand displaying my huge diamond engagement ring.

Me: "Oh. Yes. The ring. Yes, it would be new. You noticed that rather quickly."

We all had a conversation about the engagement and wedding plans and I asked about how they were each doing and their dating lives. Peter Pan spoke up again,

"Bermuda and I are Lost Boys."

Me: "I don't understand, what do you mean?"

Peter Pan: "Peter Pan and the Lost Boys? We're staying in Neverland forever and are never going to grow up. We're going to keep enjoying being single and not get tied down. We're womanizers."

I didn't realize it in that moment, but Peter Pan had struck a chord with me.

We had another round of drinks, continued talking and eventually headed out to another bar up the street. On our walk there Bermuda received a phone call from a friend. This friend was calling him to tell him that the girl he had been seeing had fooled around with another one of his friends. Peter Pan gave him a bit of grief about seeing this girl in the first place but the topic was soon changed.

There was a lot of dancing at the new bar and the three of us had a good time. Peter Pan and I had a bigger discussion about the engagement and he comment that I wasn't as excited as he thought I should be. I brushed it off.

We lost Bermuda at some point and decided to call it a night soon after. Peter Pan took me back to my hotel and we said good night. I checked my phone and saw 3 missed calls and a new message. They were all from Bermuda...

No comments:

Post a Comment